9.28.2011

Autumn Table Runner


My dinner table received some autumn love today. I took one of my favorite prints from Joel Dewberry's Aviary 2 collection (saffron damask) and transformed it into a simple table runner. 

Materials:
  • 3/4 yard of cotton fabric
  • One large scrap of batting (at least 12 x 36") 
To get started, cut two 12 x 36" rectangles from the 3/4 yard of fabric for the front and back pieces of the table runner.
Turn over one fabric rectangle and line it up within grid lines on your cutting mat. Count six inches away from each corner (in both directions) and lay the ruler down to connect those points. Draw a line along the ruler's edge. Repeat at all corners on both fabric rectangles.

 Carefully cut along the drawn lines.
Baste the table runner top to the batting. 
Trim the batting to line up with the table runner shape.
Lay the other table runner shape on top, right sides together. Make sure that all edges line up and pin in place.
Using 1/2" seam allowance, sew around the perimeter, leaving one of the long sides unstitched.

Before turning the table runner right-side out, carefully trim along the seam allowance at all corners for a few inches.
Turn right-side out through the opening.
Use a skinny dowel or pencil to push out the corners. Iron over the project to help it lie flat.
Fold the fabric in at the opening. (I like to use an iron to help me keep it straight and flat.) Pin every inch or so to hold the folds in place.
Sew it closed by hand. (I used a ladder stitch.)
Iron over the whole table runner using a heavy starch spray.
Now for the fun part!  We're going to quilt it using my new walking foot. 
Click here for the Walk the {Quilted} Line tutorial.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great and doable....love that combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color and the style. You took great pictures. I can't wait to make this:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this table runner. I've been looking for this very pattern for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You!!! I needed some inspiration for a spring table runner -- can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you much, I forgot my pattern at home and wanted to make this for a friend.
    Would you believe I forgot how to do the ends and wasn't sure on the width.

    ReplyDelete